This beautiful book is the English language print edition of the popular Danish book about natural dyeing, En Farverig Verden (2015). The book is a simple, easy-to-follow guide to getting started with natural dyeing, introducing and giving an overview of colours, plants, fibres and tools along with basic recipes for lasting colours.
The primary focus of the book is dyeing on wool but it also briefly introduces other fibres and woven fabrics.
Plant dyeing is thought to be difficult and to demand several years of experience to achieve a good result, but that is not necessarily so. Plant dyeing is an activity in which everyone can take part. It does not demand any particular skills and good results can come even with the first dye bath. The book is based on the authors’ personal experiences with natural dyeing and how to achieve good results.
• A short history of natural dyeing with plants in Nordic culture.
• A beginner’s guide on how to get started with natural dyeing and collecting plants in nature.
• An overview of colours and fibres suitable for natural dyeing.
• Recipes for dyeing with fresh and dried plant material.
• An overview of plant materials to collect in Nordic nature and which to buy such as madder root, cochineal and indigo.
• A guide to preparing yarn and fabric for dyeing that lasts.
• A guide to tools used in the various processes dyeing.
• 8 recipes covering mordanting, dyeing with fresh and dried plants as well as historic dyes such as indigo, madder root and cochineal.
Hard back; Format: 17 x 24 cm; Number of Pages: 160